You may be wondering why you should be clipping your baby’s nails. Usually, babies have chubby little fingers, the ones that are perfect for sucking and chewing on fingers. The main reason to clip those nails is to prevent babies from developing blisters and infections when they get older. Clipping nails also prevents them from getting tangled with their clothes and creating painful sores in some cases. You can find some great snacks for babies on organicsbestshop.com.
Nail clippers are not always easy to find, so many parents resort to making their own with items they usually have at home like nail file, scissors, or a wire cutter. Many babies are not at all comfortable doing nail clipping, so it’s a good idea to get in the habit early on.
Here is a suggested guide for baby nail clipping:
- You will want to make sure that the baby’s fingers are clean. If you don’t wash them, it’s best to do so with wipes. Soak your nails in hot water to make them more pliable and then trim the nails with clippers. Use oil or lotion on the skin around your nails to prevent any cuts during nail clipping.
- Do not be afraid of nailing babies! Babies do have tiny nails and can easily be clipped without causing pain or bleeding. It usually doesn’t take much effort.
- Another way to clip your baby’s nails is by using a pair of small scissors, but this technique is not as effective as using clippers. You can hold the baby’s hand in your lap and use one hand to hold the fingers down nice and flat so that you can safely trim those nails without causing pain or injury to the little one.
- Baby nail clippers are the ideal tool for trimming nails. There are two types of clippers – a scissor-like clipper that cuts through the nail and a plier-like clipper that is squeezed to make a separation in your baby’s nail. Most of these come as a set and can be quite easy to use when you get the hang of it. It’s generally suggested that you clip your baby’s nails when they’re asleep, making it easier for them to pose still.
- Babies are not likely to understand the reasons for trimming their nails, but you can distract them by playing a song or by giving them a toy to play with.
- You will have to observe your baby’s habits on when they grow nails. It usually takes up to three months before your baby grows his nails and it’s best not to try cutting them too early as they can be quite painful and difficult at this time.
- When you need to put your baby down after clipping their nails, use gloves just in case the child wakes up while sleeping and stays that way overnight.
- Most babies don’t resist the need to clip their nails, but if they do you will want to make sure that they see you do it every time as a reassurance that this is something that happens every day. You will also want to tell them why they must be clipped, so they understand why those nails are important and why they are not supposed to scratch themselves when asleep.
Nails are not only required to protect the skin from being scratched, they are also important as they are something that your child will use many times in life. If you take it seriously, you can use the simple steps to clip your baby’s nails.